Data Visualization for Analysis
Data visualizations can be used for reporting endeavours in a variety of manners, but they can also be used to explore data and set the stage for more in-depth analysis, and for insight extraction. In this module, participants will
- Learn about the different roles of data visualization in the data analysis process.
- Increase their understanding of how to represent simultaneously multiple dimensions.
- Learn some of the strategies and considerations used to create good post-analysis visualizations.
- Learn the difference between a visualization and an infographic.
- Improve their judgment about the quality of data visualizations.
In particular, participants will study the use of data visualizations for
- Detecting anomalous and invalid entries
- Shaping data transformations
- Getting a sense for the data
- Identifying hidden data structure
They will also study the fundamental principles of analytical design and learn how to recognize their application in a number of case studies, Finally, they will study the grammar of graphics.